Monday, April 13, 2015

Class 11: WebGL Chrome Experiments Fail in Firefox

For this assignment, I had to attempt to run the chrome experiments using Mozilla's Firefox web browser. Since WebGL is not completely cross-platform yet, there were sure to be some discrepancies and programs that did not run properly. Much to my surprise, the three experiments that I used for my previous post (which I used Google Chrome for) worked just fine on firefox! However, it was not difficult to find a few that did not fare so well. Below are details:

The first failed experiment I found failed when using Mozilla Firefox was at http://ninjadash.weareslim.de/
It is a game with a standard WASD control system, and B to boost and make your character go faster. However, when using Firefox, the WASD controls did not work at all, and the little guy pretty much just ran around bouncing off of walls. Screenshots below:


Next, I found another experiment that did not work properly on firefox at http://www.samcodes.co.uk/webgl/palette-shader/ it was a pretty simple experiment, which gives you controls over different aspects of the picture you are seeing. However, only some of these worked, while others were not responsive.


The last failed experiment I found was at http://infinitemondrian.com/ This brought me into a huge white world that had an option on the top left to hide the mouse from display. This feature was supposed to be an "if you want to" type of thing so that the mouse wouldn't get in the way of what you were seeing, but it turned out that the experiment did not work unless I hid the mouse from view.





No comments:

Post a Comment